Thursday, October 11, 2012


Luke 11:5-13
         Yours for the asking

         And he said to them, "Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, `Friend, lend me three loaves; 6 for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him'; 7 and he will answer from within, `Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything'? 8 I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him whatever he needs. 9 And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 12 or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

          I am truly blessed to be a father to a wonderful son and daughter. How true is this reading? If they asked wouldn't I give as much as I could? Wouldn't any parent?  As Judge Judy said " a parent can only be as happy as it's unhappiest child".

           Don't you think God feels the same about each one of us? Of course we get confused sometimes when we don't get what we (think) we want.  You can probably think of a scenario when a child asks for something totally outrageous and so obviously the parents say no. Well, God doesn't give us everything that way either. God does, more than anything, want us to be happy and fulfilled.

          I would tell you that happiness and fulfillment is a product of accepting who you are and loving who you are. That isn't all that easy. On National Coming Out Day (today) think about asking your heavenly father to help you come out. God will certainly be there for you. Perhaps the people you expect to be there won't, but God will support you with others like myself and family and friends you haven't met yet and probably can't even imagine. God is that good. 

          Of course I am speaking about accepting your sexuality. However, the average person stays in many closets of their own building that has nothing to do with sexual orientation. I believe we can all ask God to help us in our journey to wholeness, to "come out", no matter who we are and what we are. He will give us what we ask for. God made you and God wants you to be whom he made, he made no other exactly like you. You are the gift he intended for the world. Come out of the closet and let yourself shine.

           Happy Coming Out Day !  Out and proud since 2008. Wooohoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment