Monday, October 15, 2012

Signs, signs, everywhere signs


Luke 11:29-32 

         When the crowds were increasing, he began to say, "This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign shall be given to it  except the sign of Jonah. 30 For as Jonah became a sign to the men of Nin'eveh, so will the Son of man be to this generation. 31 The queen of the South will arise at the judgment with the men of this generation and condemn them; for she came from the ends of the earth to  hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. 32 The men of Nin'eveh will arise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.

           The cops stops you and says "didn't you see that sign?" Invariably that would be that you failed to yield, were driving over the speed limit or ran a stop sign. When you see those lights flashing behind you and you get pulled over, perhaps you tremble a bit, it's unnerving.

           Failing to obey signs is certainly a problem on the road for many reasons. In this reading it is speaking of our immortal souls and judgement day. We have been given a Savior who is our sign on how to live, act, love God and love ourselves.

          If we ignore the example of our Lord, we waste precious time and lose out on a great deal of loving that God wants us to have, to be a part of. If we lived by the example God gives us, the world really would be a great love fest. We know however, what the world is like when people don't listen.

          As if that isn't serious enough, what signs do we ignore about ourselves? God wants us to be the beautiful creation he made us to be. Certainly not hiding the person we are, the person who would be a sign of love to others, certainly not hiding in a closet. And yet so many do.

       For myself, I did not hide in a closet intentionally. None the less, I avoided, denied and overlooked all the signs. It took 50 years for me to read the signs. I am not complaining because life is a journey to wholeness. I am happy though that I finally can say I know who I am and I can share that love openly and joyously. I am still on a journey to wholeness but knowing who I am is a tremendous gift.  It seems funny to me that I can see all the signs now, they seem obvious. How could I not have known I was gay? Really.

       Just as road signs help us navigate the streets, there are signs that help us navigate the roads of life. For me the first was searching for, obeying and submitting myself to God. From that came acceptance of self. One of the things I would suggest is to try and read the signs you have been given, especially the one given to us in Jesus. If you get lost along the way because you to failed to read one sign or another, don't worry too much. Your effort to find your way is appreciated by God.

       Just remember - it's a journey.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment