Saturday, October 6, 2012


Luke 10:17-24
          Happiness

           17 The seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!" 18 And he said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall hurt you. 20 Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you; but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." 21 In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 22 All things have been delivered to me by my Father; and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and any one to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." 23 Then turning to the disciples he said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see what you see! 24 For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it." 

            Did you ever see a child simply enthralled and entertained by a large box? What is it? a fort? A tank? a house? a cave?  God delights in their capacity to see joy in almost anything.  I think that is what God calls us to do, to be.

             But there is something else there with that child at play. They are content with what they have, they are happy. Are we happy with what we have or are we always wanting for more thinking that something more will make us happy. The phrase is "if only" and I'll let you fill in the blanks (plural).

             Coming out at 50ish and with a great deal of religious training under my belt (not to mention  degrees and ordination), I was willing to give up everything and in fact I gave away loads of 'stuff' that I had been accumulating and keeping for years. I am truly blessed to know that none of the 'stuff' made me happy. As I constantly repeat, happiness is in knowing yourself and loving others in that order.

            I have also been blessed with the love of a truly wonderful man. I came into the relationship with little of anything and without many wordly posessions. Still we are truly happy and he often has said that we could be happy anywhere in any place because we have each other ( and the love of the perfect cat). 

            It would appear I am extolling all the blessings of my life but notice that they are not material things. The happiness I have, the source of the happiness we have, is hidden from many. Everyone can surely see we are incredibly happy but others may very well seek similar happiness in 'things'. Many people live their lives trying to find true happiness in things.

            When I read this reading, I know I am blessed (even more) because I know why we are happy and we are not wanting for more to give us happiness. We have it.

             What would , or does make you truly happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment