Saturday, September 29, 2012


Luke 9:43-45
          Can you hear ?

           43 And all were astonished at the majesty of God. But while they were all marveling at everything he did, he said to  his disciples, 44 "Let these words sink into your ears; for the Son of man is to be delivered into the hands of men." 45 But they did not understand this saying, and it was concealed from them, that they should not perceive it; and they were afraid to ask him about this saying.

          Things being concealed. Words that need to sink in. Sometimes we hear words and we don't understand what's being said. Not that we are stupid, that's not what I mean. Sometimes we just don't get. It may not be the right time. But perhaps we are not listening well enough, we can increase our chances of getting the message. Yes, we have two ears and one mouth, I've said that before. But there are other ways of listening as well. 

          Sometimes I will meet someone and casually ask "how are you?"  "Good" comes back the reply. To show the person I am really interested in them, that I am truly listening, I sometimes add "Are you sure?" or "Really?" I suppose it throws some people off but if I really want to listen and hear the true answer to the question I asked which is "How are you?". 

         On a less verbal level, body language is a great way of listening.  reading body language is an art and a science. If we care about those around us and wish to engage them in a meaningful way, we really do have to listen and let the message sink in. 

          I guess this is critically important in any relationship but perhaps heightened in marriage where communication is key and is often lacking.  Of coures this being a scripture passage, it reminds us to listen to our God. The 'body language' God uses is all around us.  God surely speaks in the lives of those we are gifted with, the people around us. 

         Yesterday my husband and I hiked in the Valley of Fire in Nevada. I thought God was casually screaming at us with every turn of the trail, each new vista, each dramatic change in color.  

           It is not just words sometimes that need to sink in. But as scripture often says, for those that have ears - Listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment