Sunday, September 9, 2012


James 2:1-10
          Clear Eyes

           My brothers and sisters, do you with your acts of favoritism really believe in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ? For if a person with gold rings and in fine clothes comes into your assembly, and if a poor person in dirty clothes also comes in, and if you take notice of the one wearing the fine clothes and say, "Have a seat here, please," while to the one who is poor you say, "Stand there," or, "Sit at my feet,"
have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?
Listen, my beloved brothers and sisters. Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who oppress you? Is it not they who drag you into court? Is it not they who blaspheme the excellent name that was invoked over you? You do well if you really fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
But if you show partiality, you commit sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.

          I saw a picture comparison of skeletons all lined up and under each one it said who they were, either a specific person, a nationality, a race, a religion,  gay, etc. Except for the captions, they all looked the same. That is how God made us, all the same. As far as outward appearances, intellectual abilities, faith, hope, love, rich , poor, that's where the differences come in. But still, God loves us all the same and he expects us to love each other all the same. That's much easier said than done.

          On jury duty many years ago, one of my fellow jurors, a young man, kept looking out the window. He was looking at his Trans Am parked across the street. It seemed like a natural fit to me, he was draped with gold chains, rings, perfectly cut hair, dressed like he stepped right out of Saturday Night fever. When I got a chance to listen to this guy in conversation over lunch, I found out much more about him and I felt ashamed. He was a truly good man. He worked hard and further, he volunteered each weekend unloading trucks in New York City donating food to the homeless.

          I believe, as people of faith, we try not to make snap judgements about people but we do look for a reference with which we can approach, talk and converse and relate to people since we know we are created equally and loved equally. Well, at least as much as God loves us and we know that's a lot! The fact is however, we are bombarded with news items, pictures and commentaries and it is difficult to cut through some of the stereotypes and look at people with an unjaundiced eye.

          As a gay person, I know that there are stereotypes and prejudice about me and our community. The claims of 'lifestyle' choice, immoral behavior and even incorrect associations with sexual perversity and crimes. All are based on assumptions, bad information and bias. It is not so different in how blacks were once viewed.  The media is so strong though that sometimes these stereotypes and prejudices are hard to break free from. I must say, I think the general media is doing an admirable job of showing that we are really no different than anyone else. We seek to live and love, enjoy life and find that special someone to live our lives with. As genesis speaks of , because it is not right for man to be alone.

          On this beautiful Sunday morning as I glance out out over the water and the sun is rising, I  am filled once again with new hope, love and thanksgiving. I am thankful for all the gifts God has graced me with, the love of a good and wonderful man, my family, my boy George and countless other gifts I am given and asked to care for. I am hopeful for love to spread, for faith to spread, for understanding  and compassion to flourish and grow. I also hope and pray for the wisdom and clear vision to see others as you see them God, as beautiful creations of your love.

           Here's to the diversity of of your love and creation heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment