Saturday, August 4, 2012


Psalm 69:14-16, 29-33
     The Empath

      When I was coming out, that is, when I began to realize I might be gay, I was horribly conflicted. I already had been going to a spiritual director for years but a good friend ( who since has become my husband ) strongly suggested that what I really needed was a therapist. I was quite blessed in finding the therapist that was perfect for me. None the less I was in horrible shape. I didn't know which way to turn. It seemed that no matter what I did, no matter what choice I made, it would be devastating to me and everyone involved. I felt I had no options. It was during this time that I began to gain an appreciation of why someone might commit suicide. While I know that this is NEVER a viable option, I understand why one might think it is when every option seems as terrifying as the next.

     It is in this light that I read this scripture reading from the Psalms. I can only encourage anyone coming out, who might be tormented by the prospect, tormented by bullies or is trying to reconcile their 'religion'  with the God who would love to acknowledge His gay son, PLEASE read this psalm and find comfort in it. It speaks volumes. 

   Listen to the psalm, listen to the God that loves you.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment