Thursday, August 9, 2012


Matthew 16:13-20
        Jesus who ?

        In this reading from Matthew, Jesus is recognized by Peter as The Christ. This is no small title, it is quite literally a title of biblical proportions, it is whom the Jews have been waiting for since their recorded history.

         Had any one of us been there, I wonder what our answer to Jesus' question would have been, 'Who do men say that I am?' 

        I suppose it does not matter what we would have said. However, the question I would pose right now is who do you say Jesus is?  Certainly a historical figure. God? Human? God-man? And what does Jesus represent to each one of us. There are times in my life where Jesus has a comfort beyond measure, somewhat of a therapist even. At times in my youth, I might have even been in love with Jesus, or perhaps a vision of Jesus.  Certainly Jesus is a friend.  My personal savior. My guide. My teacher and countless other titles that vary by situation as well as my age, maturity and life position.

         Jesus is all things and He can be all things to us. There would be no us, no me, without Him.  Perhaps it would be a good exercise to sit and meditate on who Jesus is to us.  He was there when the decision was made that what the world needed, to fulfill God master plan of love, is YOU.

          Who is Jesus to you ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment