Thursday, February 22, 2018

Zaide ! Grandpa !


Proverbs 17:6

     This Scripture passage about grandchildren being the crown of the aged makes me smile. While I am not accustomed to thinking that I am ‘aged’ I always smile when I think of my grandchildren. I always smile when Grandpa! or Zaide! is yelled out.

     Jesus speaks about being like a child to get into the kingdom, I’d say being with grandchildren is heaven. I imagine almost all grandparents feel that way.

     As far as Lent, it might be a great idea to add a grandchild ( or child ) into your presence to see, appreciate and feel the unbridled joy, innocence, love and awe they exhibit.

     As far as grandchildren are concerned I see great freedom and love. I am not so concerned with the worldly things with them as I was when I was parenting their parents. There is genuine and total acceptance, love and a willingness to enter into their lives on their level. This seems a joyous task and one to expand on for all of us. How can we nurture the essence of being a grandparent to help us on our Lenten journey? How can we expand this superior model of love to everyone, even to ourselves?


No comments:

Post a Comment