Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Miracle of miracles

Luke 1:37

     I once knew someone whose rejection of religion / God was based on his observation that miracles did not happen. He was raised in  strictly Catholic home with Bible study an integral part. He could not see lame people walking, parting of seas or any of the ancient reports of miracles.  Now, I am a ardent follower of the notion that God can be clearly seen without benefit of  rules and rubrics, convoluted logic and philosophical treatises so often associated with, if not defined by organized religions. I do think my friend has been incredibly short sighted if not horribly myopic. So sad really, I want to tell him to go get a new pair of glasses! I see miracles every day and not just in the world but also in my own life. Perhaps especially in my own life.

      One only need look into the world around us and in our lives to see the miracles that are a hallmark of God and the actions of the Holy Spirit.

      I always searched for God. I was also raised Catholic although perhaps not as strict as my parents were divorced. Somehow I always sought to be closer to God. For decades I studied and prayed while living life. I married and raised a family, volunteered, studied, went to Church, retreats. I also sought a deeper and meaningful relationship with my Creator. I was ordained and in short order I began to have troubling emotional issues with what I know have come to realize is the fact that I am gay. This was an intensely troubling time. From the pulpit I was professing doctrines that I sensed were denying my very essence. Here's the rub. Somehow, while seeing no good choices in either direction, I found a path forward with God.  To me this is no small miracle and it got bigger. This is not to say there was no heartache or agony on my part or to my family. Seeing me through this was tough work, challenging and an emotional roller coaster. No choice seemed viable. I clearly can empathize with those that see suicide as an answer. I shudder to think that such a short sighted answer had crossed my mind at the time. I shudder to think what I would have done without God at my side, if not carrying me. Somehow I managed to come out, somehow I had the support of my family, somehow I met a truly magnificent man, soul mate and husband. Many, many somehows.

       When I see my life now and the myriad changes, twists and turns, I see nothing short of a miracle. At so many different steps in life, I have been blessed and it is miraculous.

      This goes on every day in all of our lives. Sometimes we refuse to see like my old friend. Sometimes we brush miracles off to the side.  Sometimes in our arrogance we think we actually did it ourselves.  I challenge you to look deeply at your own life and life around you. I guarantee you will be struck by the miracles in your own lives.

       As this is Lent, think about this miracle too: God so loved you, he become flesh to experience what you experience, to live like you live and then, in spite of all our mistakes and especially our sins, he died on a cross and rose for YOU and you alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment