Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Graced moments, graced lives

Psalm 71:17

     Oh God, you have taught me since I was young,
          and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.




   












     I really love labyrinths. Not too long ago I described one of my most powerful and memorable experience on a labyrinth. The method suggested that I use, and the one I did follow, allowed me to regress in time until the moment when God herself conceived me. One of the joys of that journey backwards in time is that I was able to focus on countless moments of my life. Births, deaths, marriage, ordination, first dates, being held up at gunpoint, childhood crushes, old friends, playing in the dirt, singing in a boys choir, skipping along Prince avenue whistling a happy tune, having my daily Hoffman ginger ale and lady fingers with the spinster ladies next door when I was just a tiny lad, the reactions of my 3 brothers when I was brought home from the hospital and yes, the center of the labyrinth when God decided what the world needed is me. Just me. Little old me. Graced me.

       My entire life has been a blessed journey. There have gifts of the presence of so many wonderful, holy and loving people that I am humbled and in awe of the efforts by God to bring me out. God, who attends to me and loves me with reckless abandon.  I can't help but think of that song from The Sound of Music ...Somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good.

         In order to get in touch with who you really are, with the fullness of your humanity as Jesus lived, we are given the gift of Lent, a time of preparation.  Make good use of your time. Find the time to appreciate the gift and graced life you have and that you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment