Sunday, February 18, 2018

The Franciscan


Mark 1:12

     I have some blank card stock that speaks of 'entering in the desert where you will hear God speak'. This card is from one of my favorite thin places, that is, a place where I find God easily found and clearly present. It is a Benedictine Priory.

     I have often spoken of pulling yourself aside to listen; I speak of trying to find those thin places in our lives so that we can hear the voice of God.

     In this morning’s Gospel reading from Mark we see that Jesus' response to his baptism is to enter into the desert to hear the voice of his father. The odd thing that I notice is that in the same sentence that it is noted how angels waited on him, that Satan is also their tempting him. Both good and evil present at the same time.

This is most challenging, to know that in everything we do, all day long we are presented with good and evil. Angels assisting, the devil tempting. Even perhaps in our sacred times of prayer. How can we train ourselves or be present enough to focus in on the good and vacate the power of evil that often seems more in control of what’s going on around us? Clearly not an easy task, especially today but one that we know Jesus also had to face in his days on earth.

     In light of such reading that merely states to us the obvious of what we seem to live with every day, sadly I cannot come up with any brilliant wisdom. What I am going to do is focus on the prayer of St. Francis. I suggest you Google it, print yourself a copy if need be, keep it in your pocket, in your mind and in your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment