Thursday, February 15, 2018

Finding Jesus. Was he lost?

Luke 2:46-48
   
   
     I don’t know what is more astounding, Mary and Joseph ‘losing track’ of their son for 3 days ( not looking good there for Joseph and Mary ) or the fact that this child is found in the temple teaching the teachers as it were. Sounds a bit like Sheldon only of the religious variety.

      We may have a really great plan for Lent, fasting, daily prayers perhaps, a retreat? All good ideas for sure but have we ‘lost’ the ability to be astonished and struck with awe by the unexpected? To hear God as she speaks to us. The religious leaders surely didn’t expect it,  Jesus teaching them. The Apostles, professional fishermen that they were, did not expect a carpenter to tell him them to throw their nets in ‘one more time’ after a failed night of fishing only to take in the motherload. There was so much fish the boat almost sank. 

     In the face of what I suspect might be reasonable panic on the part of Mary and Joseph, they are confronted with an astounding realization about their son. I am not sure I would be looking for such an astounding answer when I am looking for a totally different answer to a totally different question. I like to think I am open to the Spirit but I know that I like my prayers answered in direct response to what I am looking for. 

     We really are not capable of knowing the mysterious ways of God.  In fact, I am not sure we can imagine what God has in store for us. I know that is true for me and my life.

      What I do know, is that we must remain open to God's constant calling, beckoning us closer to wholeness, to our true selves fully engaged and full of Her loving presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment